Monday, August 20, 2007

Adventures in packing: LowePro Slingshot 200AW














The Problem: Camera gear to haul, quick access required

The Answer: The LowePro Slingshot 200 AW

Well it might be the answer for you, it just depends on your requirements.



Last time I looked indepth at one of my camera bags it was the TopLoader 75 AW. My current personal favourite but it can be easily overloaded and your shoulder will suffer.

This suffering lead me to look enviously at the LowePro Slingshot series.

A much better padded shoulder strap, carried securely across the body and swing it around to the front to gain access to your camera. At the time I purchased this bag the Slingshot 300 was not available so the 200 was the biggest I could get.

So having bought and used the bag whats not to like.

The original concept of this bag was for quick access to a small amount of gear and for this it works a treat.
For the wildlife shooter its usefulness is limited by the size of your lens.

The comfortable load for me with this bag is:

30D with 17-40 F4 L
50 F1.8
550ex Flash
3-4 Compact Flash cards
lens cloth
hot shoe bubble level
remote

If I am wandering the streets of some foreign city this setup works nicely. In fact any time you do not need the big lenses its fine. The little zippered area at the top is great for your phone, wallet and other small non camera items.

If you really want to push this bag you can try out the pictured setup above:

30D with grip
70-200 F2.8 IS
17-40 F4 L
Extender
3-4 Compact Flash cards
lens cloth
hot shoe bubble level
remote

Obviously the lens is off camera and the load is a little heavy but the bag can do it. I have used this for an airshow shoot. It worked because once the action started the lens and camera were around my neck thus easing up the load on the bag.

If travelling light for the day then this bag is good and I find the sling concept really useful. There is also a loop on the side where you can hang the LowePro water bottle holder or maybe a lens case (for that big zoom).

I am now looking longingly at the Slingshot 300 AW as it is that bit larger and will take a zoom on camera.

Do you already have a Slingshot 200?? If tell us what you normally carry with it.

Next up on the bag list is the Nature Trekker, this is my cargo hauler bag.

Until then keep shooting.

No comments: